Saturday, June 19, 2010

Got a call late in the afternoon of Sunday, May 30th... Suzanne was in ICU at Kaiser Hospital in Sacramento.

Was actually ble to speak to Suzanne - she said "...don't rush, I'll probably be better tomorrow, but don't wait too long - I have sepsis." 

What the heck was sepsis???  Talked to Jeff, and then called Lori in Florida.  She explained "...it's not good".  Talked to Jeff again, and decided to come home the next day.  She took a turn for the worse in the morning, and ended up on life support. 

Mike and Janina rushed me to an airport in Idaho (three hours away) and he was able to get me on the fastest flight (medical emergency) back to Sac.

Long (horrible) story short, Suzanne was in ICU for five days - on life support for two days, for a total of eight days in the hospital.  She is home now and doing much better than I can believe for someone who was so ill.

Evidentally, among other things, she had a virus that attacked her kidneys and heart.  She needs low sodium diet, rest, and "meds" and should be able to resume (hopefully) a "normal" life, eventually.

This is of course a very edited version of what happened, it is difficult to write about.  My extreme thanks to Janina and Mike who rushed me to the airport, and still more to Mike who made all the arrangements, took care of my flight home and would not leave the airport until he knew I was on the plane, in my seat...  I love you both.  xoxoxo
 

No comments: