Thursday, August 12, 2010

Cast a Long Shadow

Do I own my shadow, or does my shadow own me?


An esoteric question, brought on by a desire to minimalize my life style, encourage over the years by not only the scriptures, but various "simplify your life" books, and now blogs like rowdykittens.com.  Have noticed a trend, not just in myself, but a lot on blogs, especially the 100 Things Challenge.

I live in a small space.  I rent a room in a friend's home, and have been allowed an overflow area for storage, and some space in her kitchen.  You wouldn't think I "own" much "stuff".  But I do...  I have a conflicted desire to collect things, and then a feeling of being drowned by them.  Right now, I have so much stuff I feel like "the boat's going to sink".

So I have started a numbered list of personal possessions.  Not furniture, but the personal stuff, starting with my:

1.  Large Print Bible
2.  Daily text
3.  Standard size Bible
4.  Bible Research books, at least six in current use
5.  K.H. Song Book
6.  20,000 Words
7.  I have limited myself to 25 cookbooks, (honestly, I just sorted through and gave away at least half of them) and two "personal" cookbooks.
8.  Five Journal/Poetry books, 4 retired, one in current use.
9.  Camera, and paraphernalia the goes with it... cords, case, instruction book, etc.
10.  Binoculars & three Birding Books, plus one Birding "card"
11.  Small mosaic dish my mother made years ago
12.  Black & white framed photo (you've seen it in a previous blog) of my brother & sister and me as kids.
Misc. photo albums, and several photos of my son, daughter and son in law.
13.  Four three ring binder "books" I have assembled over the years.
14.  Lambie (a puppet) who hides my flashlight
15.  My little TV/DVD player that I use to play my collection of movies.
16.  My collection of DVD's (many)
17.  Little "jar" labeled "Convenient Rationalizations" that I use to hold pens and pencils
18.  Beaded cup coaster
19. Jigger I use to hold things like my chocolate flavored chap stick near the bed.
20. Three jars of "beach glass" (memories)
21. Washington trip jar (more memories)
22. Mushroom bird on top of Washington trip jar
23. Two small round boxes
24  My China Woman (The Queen) that holds my sewing stuff
25. The tierra on top of The Queen
26. Two glass cloches
27. Blue Bird & her accessories, the tree, the flower, her rhinestone, etc.
28. My eleven book collection of Calvin & Hobbes
29. Several children's books
30. Ten art books
31. Stack of four small "simple pleasures" books
32. Cloth hear box containing earrings
33.  Silver wire basket holding necklaces and bracelets
34.  Butterfly glasses
35.  The cross stitched seahorse, my dear friend Nada made and left to me, and the easel it stands on
36.  Cell phone and chargers
37.  My sand collection
38.  Stone Heart collection
39.  Small collection of seashells

and that's just a beginning...  arghhhhh.  I feel like such a hedonist - will it never end?  Oh, and here's another site you might enjoy, I found it through rowdykittens.com, simplerabbit.com.  I just started perusing it...

That's all for now folk... xoxoxo G.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow you have a lot of neat possessions. i need to make a list of my items ;)
~Jessica~

Janina said...

Simplify is a good thing...And the less we have the less cluttered we are. I have been wanting to simplify.....♥ You have the important possessions..And gave away many...This is all good.♥

Ciao~Bella

Janina

Anonymous said...

Yup, it's true, I do have a lot... not as much as many, but way more than when I was your age. Let's see, wayyy back then I had my car, my Bible and song book, a few art supplies, and a VERY small wardrobe... maybe 3 pairs of shoes - one pair for play, two for work, 2 or three skirts, ditto for blouses, 2 pairs of jeans, two pairs of shorts, a few tops to wear with them, a sweater, a few pairs of very dainty little earings, and most importantly my bathing suit... That was it. As alway, thanks for your comments. Calgal

Anonymous said...

I like your idea of setting a limit on books. I also like what you had for the bare minimum. ms